Saturday 22 June 2013

Almond Crisp Biscuit Recipe- Go Nuts!

Simple and easy baking on a Saturday morning- 

My Almond Crisp Biscuits

My gorgeous almond crisp biscuits- These won't last for long!
It was pouring with rain this morning. Ideally I'd have been out training on the bike but having raced a couple of nights ago in abysmal conditions and been absolutely soaked I decided a better idea would be to do an easy hour on the cycling rollers and then head into the kitchen as I'd promised to bake some cookies for a friend.

I had a look through a few of my recipe books and decided on some Walnut crisps from a book a friend bought me as a birthday present knowing my love of sweet treats. Cookies- A fine selection of sweet treats (as featured to the right) from Murdoch Books.
Sadly I didn't have any walnuts at home so I have made mine with almonds instead.

Ingredients for baking my gorgeous almond crisp biscuits, 

170g of flaked almonds (Or ground almonds if you choose)
115g of caster sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract or flavouring
2 tbsp plain flour
Not sure I can resist eating these almond crisps for long!

How I made my biscuits

  1. Oven was preheated to 160 Celsius, (315 Fahrenheit or Gas Mark 2-3)
  2. I Beat together one whole egg, one egg yolk, the vanilla extract and the caster sugar until they were all combined into one wet paste.
  3. I added the two tablespoons of flour to the mixture, turning it into the paste
  4. Before turning the flaked almonds into the mixture. It will feel a little runny but this isn't an issue and is nothing to worry about.
  5. I set aside two baking trays covered with greaseproof baking paper
  6. I placed 6 teaspoons of the mixture onto the covered baking paper as the mixture feels pretty runny. I've made the mistake of putting too much mixture too close in the past.
  7. I baked for 15-17 minutes in the preheated oven. The biscuits had a golden glow at this point.
  8. The recipe in the book then said I should allow the tray to cool and transfer to a wire rack. At present I don't have a wire rack so I might need to treat myself to one of these next payday. Instead I just allowed them to cool on the trays before removing.
How long did they last- well my dad saw them and took a great big handful. I think there might be some left in the 'hands-off' bell jar I've placed them within for the moment. I never expect any biscuits to last long at home though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment