Monday 2 September 2013

My Sesame and Poppy Seed Savoury Muffin Recipe

A great savoury muffin recipe that's crying out for a nice cream cheese dip


Lone Male In The Kitchen
My Sesame and Poppy Seed Savoury Muffins
I think people are going to start calling me "The Muffin Man" soon as I seem to make them quite regularly. Ironically for someone with a sweet tooth I have been more inclined to work on some recipes for savoury muffins of late. Today's muffin idea was to use the packs of sesame seeds and poppy seeds that were left in our cupboards.

My £1.99 B + M Bargains silicon muffin mould has been getting some serious use recently. I'm definitely getting my money's worth from it.


Ingredients I used for My Sesame and Poppy Seed Muffins

(Will make 10-12 medium savoury muffins)

250 grammes of self-raising flour
100 grammes of sesame seeds
80 grammes of poppy seeds
250 ml milk
3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 large free-range eggs

You will also need a muffin tray (silicon are good)

Lone Male In The Kitchen
The amazing speckled effect of the poppy seeds in my savoury muffins

Baking Instructions for my sesame and poppy seed muffins


  1. I set the oven at 180 Celsius warming ready for the muffin trays to go in.
  2. I then greased my silicon muffin moulds using sunflower oil 1 Cal spray ensuring the sides and tops of the moulds. I'm cautious of just using the seemingly non-stick silicon bake ware without using something as a grease.
  3. I placed the silicon moulds on solid baking trays for stability when placing in the oven.
  4. I then mixed together the self-raising flour, sesame seeds and 70 grammes of the poppy seeds. The remaining 10 grammes can be used to top the muffins once in their moulds. 
  5. In a separate bowl I whisked together the three eggs before stirring in the 250 ml of milk. 
  6. I proceeded to add small amounts of the egg and milk mixture to the dry ingredients. Mixing roughly to fold the ingredients
  7. I then added the Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the mixture and stirred into the mixture. 
  8. I separated the mixture into the muffin moulds ensuring that the amount in each mould was around half a centimetre from the top of the mould to allow the savoury muffins to rise whilst baking.
  9. Lone Male In The Kitchen
    A batch of savoury muffins before being baked in the oven 
  10. I then gently spooned on a fine layer of the black poppy seeds on top of the muffin mixtures to add a dark dusting from the leftover 10 grammes. I did two batches- 1 with a poppy seed topping and one without as you'll see from the images.
  11. I baked my seedy savoury muffins for 15 minutes until they started to go a golden colour on top.
  12. After leaving to cool for 5 minutes I turned the trays out ready to tuck in or transfer to a seal able container. 

Lone Male In The Kitchen
My poppy seed topped savoury muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment